“Tunes ‘N Trucks” on May 20
The City’s free outdoor concert series concludes this Friday, May 20, with a performance by Jimmy Buffett tribute band The Caribbean Chillers
. The other stars of our event are the food trucks, including:
- A Sweet and Salty Idea - Kettle corn, caramel corn, cheese corn, and crazy corn
- Aloha Grindz - Authentic Hawaiian cuisine and shaved ice
- American Dog - NY hot dogs, hamburgers, and Italian sausage subs
- Che Grill - Argentinian street food
- Conch Shack - Seafood
- Gene's Joint - NY-style deli sandwiches, burgers, and pizza poppers
- J and B's Grill - Fried Oreos, funnel cakes, and fried Twinkies
- Loving Flavors - Gelato, milkshakes, smoothies, fried ice cream, and cakes
- Mc Ice Cream - Soft serve ice cream, Italian water ice, and drinks
- Mobile Culinary Kitchens - Colombian burgers, arepas, tostones and empanadas
- Poor Boy's Kitchen - Shrimp po' boys, tacos, gyros, burgers, and fries
- Red Zeppelin - Maine lobster rolls, lobster bisque, and lobster salad
- Smokey C's - BBQ ribs, pulled pork, brisket, and sausage
- Virgo Bomb - Creative sandwiches, and healthy and vegetarian options
- World's Best New York Gyro - Cuban and Puerto Rican foods, gyros, and wings
The food trucks will start serving at 6:00 p.m., and The Caribbean Chillers will take the stage at 7:00 p.m. Bring your lawn chair or blanket to the Sunrise Civic Center (10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard).
Tunes ‘N Trucks is sponsored by Chester’s Fort Lauderdale Harley-Davidson
and Memorial Healthcare System
, and presented in partnership with The Beach 102.7FM
. For more information, call the City of Sunrise Leisure Services Department: (954) 747-4600.
“Champions of Chess”
Student Tournament on May 21
Sunrise will host its annual student chess tournament on Saturday, May 21, in the Grand Ballroom of the Sunrise Civic Center (10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard). Sign-in is at 8:00 a.m. and play begins at 8:30 a.m.
The tournament features Elementary, Middle and High School divisions. Please contact your child’s school or the City’s Leisure Services Department (954-747-4600) for registration information. There is no cost to participate.
Household Hazardous Waste Drop-Off Set for May 21
The City of Sunrise and the City of Plantation have partnered to provide residents with opportunities to dispose of household hazardous waste (HHW) and electronics. The next HHW drop-off event is set for this Saturday, May 21
, from 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m. at the City of Plantation Public Works Compound (750 NW 91st Avenue, Plantation 33324). This event is free for residents of Sunrise and Plantation with proof of residency
. The following items will be accepted:
Automobile Batteries and Fluids
Boat Batteries and Fluids
Compact Fluorescent Bulbs (CFLs)
Fluorescent Light Bulbs and Tubes
Keyboards and Mice
Nail Polish Remover
Telephones and Cell Phones
Tires (limit four)
Wood Stains and Stripper
DO NOT bring explosives, biohazardous waste or business-generated waste.
The next HHW disposal event is planned for July 23 at Sunrise City Hall. In addition, residents may bring HHW items to the Wheelabrator facility in Davie on select Saturdays. For details, visit www.sunrisefl.gov/hhw
or call (954) 577-1135.
Memorial Day Observance on May 30
The City of Sunrise will host a Memorial Day Ceremony
on Monday, May 30, at 9:00 a.m. in the Sunrise Civic Center Amphitheater (10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard, Sunrise 33351).
Join us in honoring our fallen U.S. military service personnel. The ceremony will include a wreath placement, distinguished speakers, music, light refreshments, and the presentation of colors. In addition, a Bell 47 helicopter will be on display. Call (954) 746-3670 for more information.
In observance of Memorial Day, the City’s administrative offices, the Sunrise Senior Center and the Sunrise Civic Center Box Office will be closed on May 30. Parks and Leisure Services facilities will follow their regular operating schedule.
GO Bond Park Projects Workshop on June 1
The City will host a GO Bond Park Projects Workshop on Wednesday, June 1, at 4:00 p.m. in the Grand Ballroom of the Sunrise Civic Center (10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard).
You’ll hear a presentation from City staff on the status of bond-funded Leisure Services projects. You’ll also have an opportunity to share your input regarding:
- Facility expansions at the Civic Center and the Sunrise Senior Center
- Park renovations and/or expansions at City Park, Welleby Park, Sawgrass Sanctuary, Oscar Wind Park, Flamingo Park, Nob Hill Soccer Club, and Sunrise Athletic Complex
- The conversion of vacant land to usable green space at Sunset Strip/NW 109th Avenue, and at NW 12th Street
- Joint-use playgrounds and athletic amenities at Sunrise schools
For more information about the workshop, please call (954) 747-4600.
Celebrate the Arts in the City of Sunrise
The Sunrise Civic Center Theatre is pleased to present the following performances:
“A Night at the Tonys”
Saturday, June 4, at 2:00 p.m.
This high-energy revue features show-stopping numbers from Tony Award-winning musicals. Enjoy favorites from Phantom of the Opera and other Broadway hits, performed by acclaimed tenor James Perkowski and the Tones of Enchantment. Reserved seating: $16 adult, $14 student with ID, $10 child.
“Cinderella, the Ballet”
Sunday, June 19, at 2:00 p.m.
The Russian Ballet of Orlando brings the beloved fairy tale to life with a full cast of dancers, beautiful costumes, and dramatic choreography. Reserved seating: $18 adult, $14 student with ID, $10 child.
Mr. Brian and the Boppets
Tuesday, July 5, at 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
Wednesday, July 6, at 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
Thursday, July 7, at 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
It’s a high-energy, interactive rock concert – with puppets! Mr. Brian explores rhythm, timbre, harmony and tempo in a fun-filled show that your whole family will enjoy. General admission: $7 per person
Tribute to Justin Timberlake
Thursday, July 14, at 10:00 a.m. and 12:00 p.m.
When Scott Jordan hits the stage, it’s easy to believe you’re at a Justin Timberlake show. With years of training and performance history under his belt, Scott takes the crowd on a roller coaster ride through Justin’s greatest songs. General admission: $7 per person.
The Sunrise Civic Center Theatre is located at 10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard. The Box Office is open Tuesday and Friday from 10:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.; Wednesday and Thursday from 12:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m.; Saturday from 10:00 a.m. to 3:00 p.m.; and one hour before shows. Call (954) 747-4646 for ticket information, or purchase tickets online at www.sunrisefl.gov/registration.html
. (Look for “Theatre Shows” at the bottom left corner of the page.)