“Lyrical Lounge” Teen Open Mic Night
25th Annual Kids’ Fishing Derby
Sunrise will host a back-to-school Lyrical Lounge Teen Open Mic Night on Friday, September 26, from 7:00 p.m. to 9:00 p.m. in the Sunrise Civic Center Art Gallery (10610 West Oakland Park Boulevard, 33351). Spoken-word artists, musicians, singers and comedians age 18 and under are invited to participate. Not quite ready for the stage? Come and support your friends.
Lyrical Lounge admission is free and light refreshments will be served. Performers must sign up no later than 7:15 p.m. on Friday. For more information contact Sady Diaz (954-747-4662; firstname.lastname@example.org) or visit www.sunrisefl.gov/lyrical.
Lyrical Lounge is presented in partnership with the Jason Taylor Foundation, the Omari Hardwick bluapple Poetry Network, the SPEAK! Collective, and the Community Foundation of Broward.
Join us this Saturday, September 27, from 8:30 a.m. to 10:30 a.m. for the City's 25th annual Kids' Fishing Derby at Welleby Park (11100 NW 44th Street), presented in partnership with the Sunrise Bass Club. Beginners and experienced anglers are welcome! Bring a fishing pole and bait (night crawlers or worms work well) for your chance at a "Best Catch" award. Children under 10 must be accompanied by an adult at all times. Admission is free. Call (954) 747-4600 for more information.
Leisure Services GO Bonds on the November 4 Ballot
On Election Day – November 4, 2014 – there will be a local bond referendum on the ballot: Sunrise voters will have the opportunity to consider approving up to $65 million in general obligation (GO) bonds to help meet residents’ changing recreation needs.
If the referendum passes, the bonds would fund significant improvements to parks and recreation facilities citywide. The projects under consideration are designed to enhance the places you rely on to relax, stay fit, and play. Highlights include:
- Land Purchase for New Athletic Fields - Commercial Boulevard/Nob Hill Road, and property adjacent to Sunrise Athletic Complex
- Recreation Facility Expansions - Sunrise Senior Center and Sunrise Civic Center
- Park Renovations - City Park, Oscar Wind Park, Flamingo Park, Nob Hill Soccer Club, and Sunrise Athletic Complex
- Park Expansions - Welleby Park, 44th Street Park, Oscar Wind Park, and Sawgrass Sanctuary
- Conversion of Vacant Land to Usable Green Space - 9525 West Oakland Park Boulevard, Sunset Strip/NW 109th Avenue, and NW 12th Street
- Joint-Use Playgrounds and Athletic Amenities at Schools - Nob Hill Elementary, Horizon Elementary, and Bair Middle
Find out more about the Leisure Services GO Bond Referendum at these fun, free and informative community events:
Coffee & Conversation
Join us for “Bond Bingo” at the Sunrise Senior Center (10650 West Oakland Park Boulevard) and talk with City staff.
Ice Cream Socials
- Tuesday, October 7: 6:00 p.m. to 7:00 p.m. - Facilitated in English and Spanish
- Wednesday, October 8: 11:30 a.m. to 12:30 p.m.
Take part in one of three neighborhood meet-ups, complete with bounce houses and frozen treats.
- Saturday, October 18: 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. at City Park, 6700 Sunset Strip
- Saturday, October 18: 2:30 p.m. to 4:30 p.m. at Welleby Park, 11100 NW 44th Street
- Saturday, October 25: 12:00 p.m. to 2:00 p.m. at Sawgrass Sanctuary, 237 North New River Circle
Additional information is also available at www.sunrisefl.gov/parkbonds
Sunrise Seeks Adult Volunteer Reading Coaches
Join the City of Sunrise in our Sunrise Reads initiative! The City is seeking adults, preferably retired Baby Boomers, to volunteer as reading coaches in second grade classrooms two times per month (one hour each time). The Sunrise Reads program runs until May 2015. Openings are currently available Tuesday, Wednesday or Thursday mornings (varied locations).
Please call Rosemarie Marco at (954) 747-4640 or email email@example.com for more information.